Thursday, November 8, 2007

46 kids who call me papi

Tom here ... I started this blog deal and Cate has done a great job keeping it up, its been awhile since i've piped in.... Today was my second day volunteering at Solomon Klein orphanage(ages birth to 6)...its part of Amanacer (dawn in spanish), a outreach to street kids and orphans here in Cochabamba. SK is a wonderfull place, in that these kids have their physical needs met and they are not on the streets... Its a shocking place in that the 27 5-6 year old boys in sala 5 have one Mama (employee) and when I show up 3 x /week I'm the Papi (and so is any other male voluteer, visitor, or passing pedestrian) there are 17 girls in sala 5 and they have a mama too. I help out however and wherever....wake-up,help dress, tie shoes, breakup fights, sling hash, wipe, carry , hold, retrieve balls off the roof, monitor swimming( if i'm an orphan next lap...please let there be a pool) wash dishes, encourage, say good job, and today cradle a little girl with a double nostril nose bleed from a slide assisted impact head injury ( read blood bath ) ....the play ground is a gaunlet of conibears....but these kids have navigated it their whole lives and all have all limbs and fingers,,,,thats all for my attention span.... we go again on sunday with Cate and Mag it'll probabaly generate another Blog....

No comments: