Monday, November 19, 2007

Climbing Tunari, A mountain above Cochabamba

We heard you could do it in a day.... too tempting. So we and some other interested folks talked around until we found guides to go with us, and they arranged a bus and everything. $10 or so a person to climb the highest mountain that is above Cochabamba. The girls were off in another city at a school soccer tounament, so they didn't get in on the fun. They were really bummed. Not.
This photo is of our traditional lunch we had. Boiled eggs, potatoes, the bowl holds large boiled corn kernels, fresh cheese, apples (and other goodies, not so traditional, like my snickers bar! )Usually there is meat as well. We had good weather and drove from 8,000 ft in Cocha to 14,000 and started the hike there. It took about 4 hours to get to the top at a slow pace. This pace is enforced by the fact that there isn't a lot of oxygen to be had. Although the guides didn't seem to have any trouble and would literally run up and down between us handing out excederine. (great for immediate relief from minor altitude symptoms). There was only one steep part right before the summit, so I just didn't look down! Someone saw a condor fly by when I was 100 ft. from the top, but I was so winded that I couldn't hurry up the rest of the way to try to see it. darn! The bus ride was about 2 hours back home and my dramamine had worn off, so by time I got down off those switch backs and through the diesel of the city, I was done in. Tom had to go to the airport to collect the chicas from thier big soccer trip. Great day, beautiful valley, good to look down on the city. And now as I watch the sunset from our veranda I can say to myself.... I was on top of that peak!

No comments: