Wednesday, August 1, 2007

switching gears

Our family just returned from Bristol Bay to the lush trees and bright flowers of Anchorage. I'm sure to most of you Anchorage would not be described as lush, but after miles and miles of tundra, beach grass and mudflats thats what it is.

The river system we fish in, Ugashik had the largest return of salmon since they have accurate records, (1960) over 7 million red salmon. For a fisherman this means you had your chance and you better have gotten a few. We did, and we are currently in the 5 day window where the numbers that keep flashing behind our eyes are the gross and we feel like we have money. We will have to do some banking in the next day or so and divvy up the money and as the 5 day window closes we will realize that most of that money really belongs to someone else and the numbers will dim from the neon Gross to a black and white Net. But at the moment we are having fun in sin city and relaxing our sore muscles.

For some reason its extremely hard to think of anything else but fishing when you are fishing. (One of the things I like about it). But now I feel like I have just woken up and I am remembering that we are going to Bolivia. In 2 days. Sureal enough to be a dream. So today its: vaccinations for the girls, banking(yuck), shopping for a laptop, confirm airline and hotel res., and beefing up the wardrobe a bit. (I was just going to wait till I got down there to buy pants etc, but my friend who recently spent a winter in Ecuador said: "you are probably going to be the tallest woman in South America."

I have a couple of fishcamp photos I will put on later. Catie

No comments: